Thursday, October 8, 2009

But--it's a WEDDING! CUE THE DOVES!

I started a post about traditions over on Tumblr before we decided to move the blog. Specifically, of course, wedding/bridal traditions. I didn't finish it--I kind of abandoned it--but it's a topic I find interesting. Not always interesting in a positive way, usually more like in a car cash on the freeway kind of a way. Wedding traditions are a massive subject, with some staying fairly constant and others changing and morphing from decade to decade or year to year.

That said, Alan and I have been to 4 weddings this year. Each was different from the last--a beautiful, fairly casual affair in a gorgeous backyard in Napa, a fancy oceanside event in Santa Monica, a relaxed and homey Baltimore wedding, and a pretty traditional (there's that word!) Catholic ceremony with glitzy reception in San Jose. We had a grand old time at each, hanging out with friends, congratulating the happy couple, and, most importantly, making lists of what we liked (and might do at our wedding) and what we weren't so keen on.

What follows, wedding purists, is a list of some stuff that we'll probably shove by the wayside:

1. The clinking thing (clinking on glasses to get the bride and groom to kiss during the reception. So annoying)

2. The garter toss. Alan just doesn’t know it yet, but I’m sure he’ll agree. Plus—my dress is short. How awkward that would be.

3. The money dance

4. Throwing rice. Does anyone even do that anymore? I don't think Mills even allows it.

5. Flower girl(s)

6. Ring bearer

7. Not seeing each other before the wedding

8. Unity candle

9. Sand ceremony

10. Unity cocktail (SERIOUSLY, I am so serious, I can't tell you how stupid I think it is)

11. The first dance

12. Guest book (we'll do...something else)

13. cake topper (probably)

14. FAVORS

I'm sure there will be more--those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Shock and awe!

4 comments:

  1. What is a unity cocktail? silly silly silly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's the same idea as the Unity Candle--you incorporate making a cocktail (whatever your 'signature cocktail' is) into your vows as a way of blending your families (sigh). And then I guess you drink it. And have it served at your reception. Stupid, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing about cake toppers, is that there are some really awesome thing out there to put on top of a cake. Or a pie. Or on a table.

    (your sister)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The money dance is just tacky... but first dances are fun :) Although it's your party so you get to have it your way!

    You may try and stop the clinking thing, but it often has a mind of its own. I guarantee *someone* will try and get it started - I never understood why, who except voyeurs and peeping toms want to see people make out in public?

    ReplyDelete